Tuesday, October 23, 2012

In 8 Days...

...the normal chaos of NaNoWriMo begins again.  This will be my ninth year and I couldn't be more excited about it!  (I mean, first of all--wow, it's my ninth year.  And second of all--well, it's NaNo, I'm always excited for it.)

I've been working on my idea for this year's NaNo novel and I thought I would share what I have thus far.  This general idea has been stewing for several months and I'm very excited to finally start writing it.  Its working title is The Apocalytes and here's the clarity that has come out of the stew so far.

For years, the group sarcastically nicknamed as the Apocalytes predicted the end of the world every few months. While the first few times started a frenzy, now it's just gotten old and the group began getting ignored. And it was during one of those predicted apocalypse days, while everyone went about their normal lives, that something finally did happen--explosions, fires, death. Half the country just wiped out with no idea why.

Sixteen-year-old Alissa Carter, by some miracle, happened to survive. The lone person of her family and friends to do so, as far as she knows. She's one of the only survivors from her small Ohio suburb and, for a few weeks, survives as best she can. And then she's found by a scouting group of survivors, who convince her to come back to safety within the confines of the city, where a number of survivors have taken up residence, hidden in an underground parking garage. It's not safe, she's told, for girls and women to wander around by themselves anymore. The Apocalytes staged their little end of the world for the purpose of starting over, building a new society, and they're desperate to gain followers, particularly ones that can help them grow their new population.

But Alissa has never been one to hide away. They might not have contact with the other survivors. They might not know what the Apocalytes are planning or when they might strike next. But Alissa plans to help fight back, even if sacrifices have to be made in the process.

Alissa Carter-- main character and narrator
 
Kane Thomas

Sarah Hart
 
Cooper Randall-- one of the main antagonists

Lauren Randall

2 comments:

  1. Things are getting desperate for my novel. I have a bunch of characters and nothing decided for what they should do, and how I'm going to get this villain that I love into another novel. I think I need to spend the next several days on the nanowrimo forums adopting plots and sub-plots and taking dares.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great widget, nice working for me, see for yourself @ ufabet

    ReplyDelete